You Will Learn How To
- Understand the features and benefits of MySQL
- Understand the basics of relational databases
- Understand the SQL and MySQL languages
- Understand Data/Column types with regard to efficient database design
- View a database design structure
- Extract basic database information using the SELECT command
- Delete or modify a database
- Delete or modify table row data
- Grouping query data using aggregation
- Connect data from multiple table rows using JOIN
- Perform nested sub-queries
- Use simple functions (String, Date, Numerical)
- Backup and restore the database
- Understand the MySQL storage engines, transactions and concurrency
- Administer databases with native tools like MySQL Administrator and MySQL Query Browser
- Enhance database performance using stored procedures and triggers
Who Should Attend
Introduction to MySQL
- Relational Database Systems
- MySQL Licensing
- Downloading MySQL
- MySQL Command Line Client
- Basic MySQL Commands
- MySQL Query Browser
Database Design Basics
- Tables and Relational Databases
- Primary Keys and Foreign Keys
- Creating a Data Model
- Data Types
Data Definition Language
- The Structured Query Language
- Creating, Altering, and Deleting Databases
- Creating Tables
- Creating Columns
- Defining Primary Keys
- Foreign Keys and Column Constraints
The SELECT Statement
- Basic Form
- Displaying Specific Columns
- Using Aliases
- Arithmetic Expressions
- Filtering Data using the WHERE Clause
- Conditional and Logical Expressions
- Inserting Data into Tables (INSERT)
- Replacing Table Rows (REPLACE)
- Updating Table Rows (UPDATE)
- Deleting Table Rows (DELETE)
Working with Multiple Tables
- Queries on Multiple Tables
- Table Aliases
- Updating and Deleting Multiple Tables
- Retrieving Unique Values (DISTINCT)
- Grouping and Aggregating Data (GROUP BY)
- Filtering Aggregated Results (HAVING)
- Sorting Results (ORDER BY)
- Limiting the Results (LIMIT)
Subqueries, Indexes, and Views
- Using Subquery Operators
- Query Optimization using Indexes
- Creating and Deleting Indexes
- Creating and Editing Views
- Character Strings
- Using the Date, Time, DateTime Functions
- Numeric Functions
- Full Text Search Functions
Concurrency and Transactions
- ACID Principles
- Table Locking
- Creating Users
- Setting Passwords
- Access Privileges
- Backup and Restore
- Introduction to Migration
- Using the MySQL Administrator
Stored Procedures and Triggers
- Basic Concepts
- Functions and Procedures
- Variables and Parameters
- Control Flow Statements
- Error Handling
- Stored Procedure Administration
"Excellent technique and material for teaching the course. Receptive to our questions and appreciative of our participation and punctuality."
System Administrator, Mantech Power Dynamics Services, Inc.
"Really like how the instructor organizes the topics and explain clearly the concepts also, the hands-on exercises are great!"
Manila Water Co. Inc
"The content of the course is very cool. I learned a lot from this course - chapter by chapter - detail by detail - and I will recommend this to all of my friends and office mates."
"Every course gives clear and understandable examples that greatly accompany the trainee."
Toshiba Information Equipment Philippines
"Excellent method to impart information. More power. Thank you for a great week of information and shared experiences."
Emerson Electric Asia, Ltd, ROHQ
"Course content was fulfilling and complete. I like the alternating between lecture and exercise to apply what we learn earlier."
"The exercise examples are challenging and give a good insight into the application of mySQL for practical applications."
Goveas Aviation & Aerospace Solutions
"I like the way how the exercises relate to the chapters and how it progress. The course is straight forward and easy to understand. "
"I learned something new in each chapter that I could definitely apply to my work."
"The instructor is patient and understanding with his students' skills and technical background. He has full grasp of the course he's teaching. He can answer questions well and relate it to real-life applications."
"I like the completeness and the straight to the point instructions, the course was very easy to learn, interaction between the instructor and student was dynamic."
"The course is well organized and very easy to understand. The instructor has a very good teaching method, he connects very well with his students. He uses terms that are easy to understand and he provides helpful examples."
Hewlett Packard Asia Pacific HK
"The instructor is very knowledgeable on the subject. His approach is easily understood. All workshops helped me understand fully the commands and syntax."
Systems Officer IV, Philippine Exporters Confederation, Inc.
"The course is great. I've come to appreciate SQL even more. Excellent instructor. He is able to explain all the topics very clearly. The content of the course covered most of the basics to get us started in mysql. The hand-out will be an indespensible tool for us."